INEX Robotics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie questions on POP-BOT.

Go down

Newbie questions on POP-BOT. Empty Newbie questions on POP-BOT.

Post  WillBFlash Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:53 pm

I have a POP-BOT (Standard) on order (from my local SparkFun).
(I don't see any comments on these forums on the POP-BOT.)

I have several questions (that I can't find an answer to):
1)Is the "POP_Loader still good for sending .hex files to the POP-BOT (by means of the USB ISP Pocket Programmer, it is USBtiny compatible).
2)Will: avrdude -V -C C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avrdude.conf -p m168 -c usbtiny -P usb -b 57600 -U flash:w:%1 -vvv
Pause
Work with Avrdude as a batch file, if I use it as the programmer.

3)Does the CD include the proper Bootloader (I believe it is modified) should I decide to return the POP-BOT to Arduino operation? (I suspect there are no Arduino POP-BOT specialized libraries on the CD because I compiled all the programs with arduino-22 without a problem.)

There was a question asked about using a flowchart style program. Answer: As far as I understand, none directly for Arduino programming.
BUT If you use the ISP connection (and not the Arduino Bootloader) Flowcode is awesome and check out a free one called "Algorithm Builder" at:
http://algrom.net/ (I haven't used it but it looks really cool!)

Anyone else have a POP-BOT? I would love to discuss it (items like expansion, multitasking, C and Basic programming, etc) with you! Very Happy

WillBFlash

Back to top Go down

Newbie questions on POP-BOT. Empty POP-BOT Update! (and kit review)

Post  WillBFlash Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:17 am

My POP-BOT kit arrived this morning and it is already together and running!

The kit: EASY to assemble! Little problems were the holes on LCD board were slightly too small for the screws supplied, but a careful reaming with the blade of a sharp scissors and that was quickly fixed. My "A" left motor is wired in reverse at the motor, but turning the plug around on the controller board was another quick fix. Everything else went together as smooth as silk! There is a REAL PAPER MANUAL (sorry trees! :-) and the CD and I thought that was great! I miss the old paper manuals... There is some nice getting started with the Arduino stuff on the CD as well.

The programming and running: My kit came with Arduino-0017 (which worked on Win 7 64 bits!) but I upgraded that to Arduino-0022, the latest, and all it takes is moving any file with anything to do with "POP-BOT" or "POP-168" over. Arduino-0022 now runs the programs without a hitch. Nice!

I haven't tried my USB ISP Pocket Programmer board, but I think I can make that work too. Maybe just for reinstalling the Bootloader (on the CD) if needed, have a look at the PDF manual for the mikroelektronika AT-MINI and they show you how to set up their C (or Basic or Pascal) for direct use without disturbing the Arduino Bootloader. Haven't tried it yet, but it SHOULD work with the POP-168 if one gets the Avrdude control code correct, expect another update in the future!

All in all: Recommended!
I really like this little 'bot and I think it is well worth the price. I look forward to LOTS of fun experimenting! Very Happy

WillBFlash

Back to top Go down

Newbie questions on POP-BOT. Empty Programming the POP-BOT in MikroElektronika Basic the EASY WAY.

Post  WillBFlash Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:27 am

Here is how I create and upload a Basic program and upload the .hex file to the POP-BOT (WITHOUT disturbing the Arduino Bootloader!)

I am using MikroElektronika Basic (version 4.6), the free version (limited to programs of 2k).
Here is my Basic "Blink" program:
--------------------
program LED_Blinking
main:

DDRB = 0xFF ' set direction to be output

while TRUE
PORTB = 0x20 ' Turn ON PIN5 diode on PORTB
Delay_ms(1000) ' 1 second delay
PORTB = 0x00 ' Turn OFF PIN5 diode on PORTB
Delay_ms(1000) ' 1 second delay
wend ' Endless loop}
end.
------
Create and compile this to a .hex file (making sure the chip selected is the ATmega168 with a 16MHz clock.)
Then I use the "POP-Loader : Bootloader utility for POP-168" (free!) from: http://www.avride.com/pop/?p=7
(I turn the POP-BOT off and hold the POP-168 reset button while I turn the POP-BOT on, the blue LED should come on and stay on. Works great!
1)Make sure the POP-Loader program recognizes the COM port the USB connection is on (mine is on COM6) or try using the "Auto Detect" button.
2)Open the .hex file you just created in the "Flash .hex filename" box.
3)Press the good old "Program" button. No errors should occur and it will let you know it has done this.
4)Press the "Verify" button and wait a while, again there should be no errors and again it lets you know it has done this.

Now enjoy the Basic program you just created! Very Happy

(I verify program operation using a Proteus sim of the .hex file just to be sure it works well. Totally optional.)

My next step is to BUY a copy of the way-cool Basic compiler so that I can exceed the demo 2k memory limit.
(WARNING! Don't exceed about 12k of .hex code, or you might "blow" the POP-168 Arduino Bootloader!)

Have fun! Very Happy
(I love this forum and hope you have found my POP-BOT experience to be useful!) Very Happy

WillBFlash

Back to top Go down

Newbie questions on POP-BOT. Empty Re: Newbie questions on POP-BOT.

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum